Usually when Chernie (my housemate) was around, I wouldn't need to do much during our baking sessions because she's much better at that than I was. I was only interested in doing the colourings or being in charge of the sprinkles.
It wasn't until last year when I in Melbourne alone (Chernie went home for summer) and I had to prepare something for a potluck party until I started to figure out how to bake on my own.
After a few failures, now I can proudly say that I am pretty good with baking COOKIES. Just cookies for now but I believe I will be more specialise in other things as time goes by :D
This was my very first single handed attempt in baking.
I'm not that much of a sweet tooth so I opted for matcha cookies instead of the conventional chocolate chip cookies as it's a safe choice.
Here's the recipe~
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons of matcha powder (Personally, I used green tea latte powder instead of pure matcha powder))
- 2/3 cup of white sugar (whisk longer if you opted for raw sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
This is the green tea latte powder that I used.
If you are not particularly anal about the RIGHT procedures in baking or the RIGHT recipe, getting green tea latte powder is actually a pretty good choice. Since they usually come in a box of a few sachets, after using 1 for baking, you get to drink the rest of them. That kills 2 birds in 1 stone ><
1) Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius
2) Mix butter and matcha powder until smooth
3) Add in sugar and continue mixing until smooth
4) Add in vanilla extract and egg and mix till just combined
5) Mix the dry ingredients (white sugar, flour, baking soda, salt) together
6) Add the mixture of dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (i.e mixing step 5 into step 4)
7) Put a few drops of green colouring (optional)
8) Roll the dough into rounded balls of your desire size
9) Place the balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet / baking paper on an oven tray and make sure to space them apart sufficiently
10) Bake for approximately 9 minutes (for medium-sized cookies) or until the edges of the cookie start to turn brown. The bigger your cookie dough ball, the longer the baking time (vice versa)
11) Let cool and EAT!
Have fun baking and good luck :D